Wednesday, June 25, 2008

HHHH Questionnaire

This is the questionnaire for the HHHH swap. If you're not a participant, feel free to move along. I'll try to do a real blog post sooner or later.

1. How long have you been spinning? What skill level do you consider yourself?
I started about a year ago on a spindle and moved to a wheel about six months ago. I'd consider myself intermediate. Lately it seems like some of my earlier stuff looks better than my more recent yarns, but I guess that's what happens when you start trying something new.

2. What kinds of yarn do you create (singles/2-ply/3-ply/art yarn)?
Singles, 2-ply, 3-ply.
Spunky March "Mud Season" handspun BFL Forbidden Fruit 3-ply merino sock Insect Wings

3. What do you spin with (spindle/wheel/both)?
Mostly a wheel; I still get frustrated with the spindle.

4. What are your favorite fibers to spin with? Anything you don't like?
I'll try anything. I haven't tried alpaca yet because it itches my hands to knit with, but I'd give it a shot. I'm best at merino, because that's what I taught myself to spin on.

5. Who are your favorite crack dealers fiber sources (etsy or otherwise)?
AllSpunUp, Spunky Eclectic, Hello Yarn, Pigeonroof Studios... Sometimes I just go on Etsy and search "spinning fibers" and see what looks pretty.

6. What kind of fiber do you want to try?
Rambouillet -- that's the kind of sheep my MIL has, so I want to see what it's like to spin "ranch wool."

7. Are there any techniques you would like to learn?
I'd love to learn more woolen techniques. Sometimes I do a modified long draw, but I've never tried woolen-prepped fibers.

8. Do you dye fiber? If not, would you like to learn?
A little, it's not my favorite thing to do.

9. Do you have fiber prep tools (and like to use them) or would you prefer ready to spin fiber?
I have some handcards, but I prefer ready to spin.

10. What do you do with your handspun? What projects have you completed?
Some socks, lately a lot of scarves. I need to get out of the scarf rut.

Happy Handspun Socks Baby Surprise Accompli Chevron Scarf Forbidden Fruit Handspun Socks handspun baby ensemble handspun baby sweater Handspun socks for DH Think Spring Things crocheted handspun scarf Handspun Scarf

11. Are you in need of any spinning gadgets (WPI Gauge, threading hook, etc)?
I don't think so.

12. What colors "fall into your shopping basket"? Any colors you just can't stand?
I tend to go for reds, purples, oranges, browns, and greens. Less so for blues and yellows and pinks.

13. What is on your wheel/spindle right now?
Spunky Eclectic's April club fiber: Wensleydale in "A Perfect Storm"
Will be a light fingering 2-ply.

On the Wheel

14. What other crafts/hobbies do you have?
Knitting, reading, cooking, baking, gardening.

15. Other than crafts, what are you passionate about?
I'm supposed to be passionate about something else? See #14, I guess.

16. Do you have an online wishlist?
Yes, on Amazon. I don't want to post the link, but you can email me for it.

17. Is there anything that you collect?
Fiber and books.

18. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What magazine subscriptions do you have?
I can't wait for the new Nancy Bush Estonian lace book. I subscribe to Vogue Knitting, IK, and Spin-Off.

19. When is your birthday?
January

20. What book or movie character do you most resemble in personality?
I don't know.

21. What is the climate like where you live around this time (need to know for careful shipments of anything meltable)?
Hot and humid.

22. Tell us one weird fact about yourself!
I hate questions like this and #20.

Favorites
favorite painting/picture(link)
: can't think of one off the top of my head, so it'd be weird to call anything a favorite

Candy: Butterfinger

Food: Mexican

Drink: Iced tea (unsweetened)

Movie(s): The Godfather

TV Show(s): House, The Office, Bones, Monk TV is mostly background for me.

Book(s): Anna Karenina, Atonement (loved the book, haven't seen the movie)

Guilty Pleasure(s): not getting dressed 'til noon

Sorry if any of this sounds a little grumpy. I just realized my husband had set the thermostat to 80 degrees. No wonder it was so hot in here! I thought maybe I was getting a fever.

No comments: