Friday, September 14, 2007

Cozy

Cozies



Autumn is coming. I can feel it in the cool morning air. The rational voice in my head tells me that we still have many warm days ahead, but I'm starting to want hot tea and onion soup and all of the other cold-weather treats that just seem so wrong for most of the year in Texas. So, in preparation, I finally made the tea cosy I've been planning since I learned to knit. I went ahead and knit a cosy for the coffee press while I was at it, even though I rarely have time for a second cup in the mornings. Bruneaux was a big helper.

Helper




Tea Cozy


Tea Cosy
Yarn: Patons Classic Merino Wool
Needles: Knit Picks Options US7
Instead of swatching, I looked up the gauge for the wool on Yarndex, measured around my tea bowl and cast on. When it came out too big, I threw it in the wash and felted it, which made it a bit short, but I bet it will still keep tea warm. Originally it fit over the handle, but post-felting I had to cut a slit for the handle to poke through. I'll be keeping an eye out for a funky button or bead to sew on the top for that finishing touch.

Coffee Cozy


French Press Cosy
Yarn: Knit Picks Telemark in Bayberry held double, 2 balls
Needles: Knit Picks Options US9
I just cast on what looked to be the right amount of stitches and went with it, using short rows to shape the top, and seamed it at the top and very bottom, leaving a hole for plunger and the handle. I couldn't be more pleased. I love that the cosies are different reds and different textures.

No comments: