Thursday, October 18, 2007

Sock Repair

Trekking Socks + Bruneaux =

Damaged Socks



My husband was very distressed to learn the hard way that leaving your dirty handknit socks laying around isn't a very good idea.

Knitter to the rescue!

First, I snipped one yarn at the lowest point of the damage and unraveled it around the sock to release the chewed part, putting the freed loops on the needles as I went.

Repairing Socks



I suppose the best way to go about this would have been to take off all of the ribbing and reknit it, holding the yarn doubled for the last round and the sewn bind-off to best approximate the cast-on edge of the other sock (long-tail with the yarn held doubled).

But I wasn't feeling that ambitious -- I need more proof that these socks will be cared for before I put that kind of effort in -- and I wasn't certain I had enough yarn for all that, so I just removed the damaged part and reknit it. You can see where the ribbing is half a stitch off where the knitting changes direction, but it doesn't bother me too much. I cast off in pattern using a larger needle and doubled yarn.

Repaired Socks



It's not perfect, but it's better than it was!

1 comment:

Terhi said...

I love your photos. So beautiful. Also, great job with the repair! :-)