Monday, July 30, 2007

Running with Scissors

Perhaps not surprisingly, the first sleeve on the Bavarian Jacket was less than satisfactory, so for the second I decided to do something a little different. Still unwilling to rip back all of that applied i-cord, I knitted up stitches where the armhole would have been if I had been able to follow simple directions in the first place and knitted the sleeve cap according to the pattern. The second sleeve actually sits on my shoulder, like a proper set-in sleeve.

Bavarian Jacket Sleeve Cap

Unlike a normal set-in sleeve, however, mine had a built-in shoulder pad.

Bavarian Jacket Surgery

What to do, what to do. I started to try a crocheted steek, but crochet hooks are awkward for me, and I wasn't quite sure how to make it work in garter stitch. So, for the first time in my life, I thought to myself, this would be easier to do on a machine.

I still had my swatch handy, so I had a few practice runs.

Bavarian Jacket Surgery - trial run

Yes, that is the manual. I couldn't remember where the lever for the presser foot was. Or how to wind a bobbin. Thankfully, despite not really knowing what I'm doing, I'm kind of fearless when it comes to sewing machines.

Bavarian Jacket Surgery

A few snips later, and I have a reshaped armhole, with no excess fabric, and no cursing involved.

Bavarian Jacket Surgery

Unfortunately, this does mean that I'll have to rip back the first sleeve and repeat. But I think I can skip knitting a "shoulder holder" to keep the sleeve caps from drooping, as recommended in the pattern. Between casting off at the collar, seaming the shoulders instead of weaving, and 'steeking' the armhole, those sleeve caps should stay put all by themselves.

No comments: