Thursday, March 13, 2008

No second sock syndrome here.

I've been churning out socks like a mad woman.

First off, another 2007 holdover is finished:

Child's First Socks in Shell Pattern



Child's First Socks in Shell Pattern
Nancy Bush, Knitting Vintage Socks
Sundara Sock Yarn in Indigo over Aquamarine
US0 DPNs

I started these socks in December, and they were my purse socks. It took me about three months to finish knitting the first one -- actually, to even get to the heel of the first one -- because they had several perceived problems. First, I had decided to knit them on US0s instead of the recommended US1s because I wanted the lace pattern to open up a little more when worn, and I have this thing lately about snug-fitting socks, but then I was afraid that they would be too small. Second, the yarn tangled on everything in my purse, and the socks came off a needle or two more times than I'd care to count. I was just frustrated with them. But, since I am slowly knocking out the carry-over projects, and socks knit up pretty fast, they got moved to the top of the queue. And when I got the first one finished, I was so in love with it that I knocked out the second within another week. I really like how the subtle variegations in the blue yarn really highlight the shell pattern, and the fit turned out to be spot on.

The Cherokee-inspired Jaywalkers are also finished:

Jaywalkers



Jaywalkers by Grumperina
Knitterly Things Vesper Sock Yarn in Knit and Tonic
US1 DPNs

The Child's First Socks may be the pair that has taken me the longest to knit, and these may be my quickest pair of socks. Four days for the pair. There's something about self-striping yarn that just makes it go so fast. I think it's because I always want to knit a whole color repeat at a a time, or maybe because it's so easy to measure progress.

I did modify the toes on these, because I figured if I was doing decreases on the instep, why not work them into the toe shaping? So, when I was ready to start the toe (four color repeats from the gusset pick-up), I just left off the first and last increases on the instep and continued the chevron pattern until there was only one stitch on either side of the double decrease. Then I continued the toe as normal, abandoning the center increases as well. I think it looks pretty sharp.

Modified Jaywalker toes



In other news, we're going to have to find a new home for Bruneaux. :( He and Duke used to be best buds, but apparently the had a falling out when we weren't looking, because they've gotten into a couple of fights (which thankfully we were around to break up), the last of which ended in stitches for Duke. I don't think Bruneaux was trying to hurt him -- in fact, I think he was trying not to hurt him, or it would have been much worse, it's only a superficial wound -- but, nevertheless, he just doesn't understand how gently he needs to play with the little dogs. Duke, understandably, is terrified of him now, in that little dog I-think-I-can-take-you-but-I-can't way which is just sure to cause more trouble.

Poor Duke :(



My first instinct was to just keep them separated and put Bruneaux outside a lot more, but he's figured out how to hop the fence. So, we can't keep him outside and he can't be inside with the little ones, which means we have no place for him. My MIL is going to look for a place for him on a ranch where he can be a working dog and get some of his energy out. I think he'll be a better dog for it, and happier, but I will miss him.

No comments: