Saturday, January 31, 2009

January Recap: Soakers are the new socks.

Sorry to be so silent. I have been knitting and spinning quite a lot, but if I had blogged it play-by-play, you would all be drooling right now from all the redundancy. So let's just round it all up into one post, shall we?

Soaker stack


Soakers are the new socks around here. They're quick, they're easy, they will actually get used (unlike a lot of woolens in Texas weather), and I can satisfy my nesting urge while sitting on my butt, which is much easier on my very pregnant body than, say, steam cleaning the carpets.

Soakers galore


For those of you thinking, "what's a soaker?" it's a cover that you put over cloth diapers to make them waterproof. We all know the wonders of wool, but when used for this purpose, it really is like magic. When treated with lanolin, it makes a breathable layer that absolutely stops leaks. So, while knitting this March baby a bunch of sweaters would be a little pointless, knitting soakers is downright practical.

I spent all of New Years Eve and New Years Day spinning, and off I went. I haven't really stopped since. I have 4 newborn size, 6 smalls, and 4.5 mediums so far.



I did manage to churn out a couple of hats as well, one baby-sized and one daddy-sized.

Baby hat
Cubba, by Woolly Wormhead

Thorpe
Thorpe, by Kirsten Kapur, felted because apparently even a top-down hat isn't completely foolproof!


Given my to-be-soaker stash, I predict more of the same for February.

More to come!


In other news, the nursery is 99% complete, but I can't really show you yet because the 1% that is incomplete is the lighting. We installed the ceiling fan and the blades turn, but the lights don't work. And the outlet where I was going to plug in a lamp on the changing table is also dead. So we need to do some troubleshooting. In the meantime, it's a little dark!

No comments: