Monday, December 31, 2007

2007, adieu.

Howdy, strangers. It's been a little while, so settle in with a warm beverage, or do like I did when I got back to the internet-connected world and just browse the pictures. I'll try not to be too wordy.

Very Warm Grinch



First up is Christmas knitting that didn't get blogged, mostly because it was still damp when I packed it up and hit the road. I actually didn't get a picture of it until last Saturday, but when I snuck it out of my father-in-law's house for a photo shoot, he ran out and posed for me even though he was on the phone. Hi, David! Glad you like the hat!

The pattern is loosely based on Elizabeth Zimmermann's Very Warm Hat. I charted out the lettering myself and decreased at six points every third round to create the pointy stocking cap shape. I considered pompoms for the ends, but the bells made it more easily reversible.

I had intended to knit it in acrylic so that it would be machine washable, and also because my husband was with me when I was shopping and he insisted that we could find yarn for the hat at the yarn store we were in, but I didn't get two rows in before deciding that it was too splitty to be bothered with. So I made another trip and switched to wool (Patons Classic Merino and Cascade 220) and was much happier for it.

Holiday 07



The big news is that I got a spinning wheel for Christmas! It's a Kromski Symphony in the walnut finish and I really love it so far. That center picture is the White Finn Top that came with the wheel. It was a bit coarse for a garment, so I decided mid-spin to make a cozy for my french press that stays at the ranch, at which point I stopped trying for consistency and went for a more homespun texture. And then I made it three-ply, which evened it out a lot, anyway. Tell me all your places to get good rovings; I am on the hunt.

New Mexico



We also made a very quick trip to New Mexico to see some property in the mountains that my father-in-law had put an offer on. It was a lot of hours in the car, but so worth it to see some snow and breathe in the cold air. I was very happy for my mittens!

2007 has been a pretty good year; I found a new hobby that has kept my mind occupied almost non-stop. My hope for 2008 is to temper that a little with a little more attention to some things that have been neglected in the pursuit of fiber, such as cooking and housecleaning and perhaps even laundry. But with a new wheel in the house, I'm not making any promises.

Happy New Year!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The christmat hat is SOOO cute! Good luck for the new year, at least where you need somethings accomplished!

Diane said...

Great Photography Style.. I can almost feel the crisp air. Good luck on your spinning wheel. Is this something you'd known how to do before, or a totally new direction?

BTW, Dad made a great model for a really cute hat. Just love it. Thanks for sharing it.

Happy New Year!!

Anonymous said...

I'm totally enchanted with your hat! Great job. And I am so so very excited for you and your new Symphony! I am quite certain you are just going to love it! Happy New Year, indeed.

Ami said...

Congrats on the new wheel! I think I would have to say that I find spinning even more addictive than knitting (less portable though), so ummm... yeah... good luck on that housework thing. Oh... join some fiber clubs- best thing I ever treated myself to. Hello Yarn, Spunky Eclectic, Funky Carolina, Flawful Fibers... there are quite a few.

Bea said...

Love the hat. The winter pictures are great too!

whitney said...

I love that hat, what a clever idea! Happy New Year!

Kyle William said...

brrrr.... love the icy snowy photos :)

hassam said...

Love the hat. The winter pictures are great too!